Search This Blog

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Chronic Pain

I've never been one to suffer much from pain, rarely even had a headache, until the last few years. My mom was in pain a lot due to arthritis and fibromyalgia, but I didn't have as much sympathy for her as I should have. A few years ago, I began experiencing muscle aches all over my body, and the last year or so they have gotten much worse. I used to be very active and love to play sports. Now, pain keeps me from doing so many things, and makes me feel horrible for days if I go ahead and do what I want to do.

A previous doctor of mine said it was probably fibromyalgia, without doing any tests since I didn't have insurance, and I had all the symptoms. Talking with friends of mine with fibromyalgia, it sure does seem like a possibility. My new doctor is taking time to do some tests, and I'm glad she is. The MRI I had last month came back normal. My lab work has indicated deficiencies in a couple different vitamins, so I'm taking those now to see if increased levels will ease my pain. My insurance company sent a note to my doctor indicating that one of my prescription meds could cause muscle aches, so I'm going a month without it to see if it makes a difference. So far, nothing has helped.

Last night my arms and legs felt as though I had been working out with weights much too heavy for me. They were weak, limp, and very achy. I took a Lortab and went to bed. At least I was able to get a good (and long) night's sleep. This morning, when I awoke, my arms and legs felt better, but the muscles in my torso were hurting very badly! It felt like I was being squeezed to death by a boa constrictor. (When I told Sam that, he asked how I knew what it felt like since I've never had a boa constrictor squeezing me.)

Along with the pain, I'm having some strange neurological symptoms. I have numb spots on each leg and one arm. Periodically, I have shocks shoot through my body. When they are in my back, they shake my whole body, and I look like I'm having some kind of fit. Also, whenever I laugh really hard (which is several times a day), I start to black out and feel like I'm about to faint.

All of this is very disconcerting, not to mention scary. And, a diagnosis seems to be a long ways off. Those of you who pray, please say a word or two for me and for my doctor to know what tests to do and what to look for. Thanks!

No comments: