Search This Blog

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Teenage Driver

This past Wednesday, I was the best mom in the world. For several months leading up to that day, I was the worst mom in the world. Wednesday, Sam "finally" got his learner's permit. Since he's already 16 years and 3 months old, it really was about time. (Circumstances kept us from being able to get it sooner, and quite frankly, I wasn't ready yet.)

During the past several months, we made many trips to large, empty parking lots where Sam could practice driving without the risk of running into anything; and last semester he took Driver's Ed at school. So, he was more than ready to get behind the wheel.

Everything went very smoothly at the DMV. He passed the written test with no problem at all, and he drove us home. That was his first experience driving my 5-speed on the road. In Driver's Ed, he was able to drive an automatic on the road, but this was a new experience for him and for me. Although he did very well, I was a little shaken by the time we got home.

It would be much easier, at this stage of life, to have an automatic, but I so love my Mustang! Thankfully, Sam has done much better each time he has had the opportunity to drive it, and I am very proud of him!

No comments: