Search This Blog

Monday, January 14, 2008

What Is a Friend?

If you have been following my blog for a while, you know that I dabble a little in poetry. Here's a poem I wrote for a friend of mine back in 1991. Unfortunately, she died of cancer in 2002. Today, I'm posting it on here for two very good friends of mine -- Mary Katherine and Patti.

WHAT IS A FRIEND?

A friend is someone you can trust
With all your dreams and fears,
Someone who is always there
To share the laughter and tears.
When one is in need, a friend will help
To heal, patch, or mend
Anything that has gone wrong.
Such is a true friend.

You have been a wonderful friend
Whether I have deserved it or not.
Your friendship is a special kind
That cannot be stolen nor bought.
I value your friendship very much,
And pray that in the years ahead
It will grow and flourish
Because it is constantly fed.

©1991 Suzanne Mulkey

No comments: