Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Security of the Believer

I haven't had a chance to write in here lately. My son has been sick, and my mother-in-law is still in the hospital due to her broken hip. Between the two of them, I've been kept quite busy. While I've been busy with all of my responsibilities, my mind has been busy pondering deep thoughts. I have many topics I'd like to write about, but I will limit it to just one per day.

This past Sunday I visited Gunnings Baptist Church (in Blountville, TN) for the second time. Evangelist Bob Dougherty preached, and I enjoyed his sermon immensely. He took the letters in the word "security" and made an acrostic to argue the security of the believer. I believe it was the best sermon I've ever heard on the subject.

In order for you to "lose your salvation", you would have to:

Sell yourself after you've been bought.
I Corinthians 6:19-20

Erase your name from the Lamb's Book of Life, which is in Heaven.
Hebrews 12:23

Confuse the plain, simple teaching of Holy Scripture.
John 5:24; 6:47; 10:28

Undo the work of Calvary.
Isaiah 53:5,6; Romans 5:7,8

Reject the ability of God to keep you saved.
I Peter 1:3-5

Ignore the provision of God's sealing power by His Spirit.
Ephesians 1:13,14; 4:30

Take yourself out of the body of Christ.
I Corinthians 12:13; John 6:37

Yield to the false teaching that man merits salvation instead of receiving it by a FREE gift.
Ecclesiates 3:14

There's only one end of Salvation -- the one where you got on. It continues on for eternity.

Some people believe that you get saved by grace but you stay saved by "keeping the rules." That sounds like probation.

No comments: