Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Is Valentine's Day a public holiday?

The way I see it, Valentine's Day should be primarily between two people who are in a romantic relationship. I would also add in immediate family members, such as parents, children, etc.; but that's about it. (A notable exception would be school children who like to take little V-day cards to their friends.) On Feb. 14, I typically give my husband a cutesy V-day gift and card and buy some little something for my son; and I may say "Happy Valentine's Day" to people I meet at work or church or such; but that's the extent of it. I don't understand why some people seem to want to turn Feb. 14 into another gift-giving fiasco like Christmas has become.

I missed work on Feb. 13 because it is the anniversary of my mom's death, and I didn't want to have to deal with my pain while at work. When I went in the next day, V-Day, a co-worker had a pretty plant with pink flowers on her desk. When I commented on how pretty it was, I was informed that the company president had given out plants and chocolate the day before since he would be out of town the rest of the week. I found that very strange, and I was actually glad I had missed that day so I would not be in the uncomfortable position of receiving a V-day gift from my boss. Then, yesterday, he popped his head in my door and commenced a rather long speech on how I had been gone the day he had given out V-day gifts, but that I had not been forgotten and would receive mine later this week. I mumbled my thanks and a "that's ok" while feeling uncomfortable and wishing I had been forgotten.

In my opinion, the work place should be more formal and impersonal with no gift-giving, with a couple exceptions. Christmas gifts from employers are acceptable if everyone receives a comparable gift. Also, I enjoy being recognized on Office Personnel Appreciation Day, just as long as I am not refered to as a secretary. (I am an accountant, NOT a secretary.)

Ok, I'll step down from my soap box now.

No comments: