Search This Blog

Friday, June 25, 2010

Chocolate Gravy

I've been feeling a little nostalgic lately, which usually leads to favorite foods from my childhood. When I was a little girl, my absolute favorite breakfast was biscuits and chocolate gravy. Some of you may be thinking that sounds nasty, but you really need to try it before forming an opinion.

My dad grew up eating chocolate gravy, and it was one of his favorites also. Whenever we would go visit Grandma, he would bribe my brother and me to go ask Grandma to make it for us. She was wise enough to know that it was really Dad who was behind it, but she was more than happy to make it for us. My mom didn't care so much about chocolate, but she learned the recipe from Grandma and made it for us often on Saturday mornings.

Just this morning, I made homemade biscuits with chocolate gravy for breakfast. If I had thought of it, I would have taken a picture to post on here, but I was too busy eating! Mmmmm...it was so good!

Here's the recipe for those of you who are interested:


1 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. cocoa
dash of salt

Mix together in skillet and stir while adding 1-1/2 c. milk. Cook over med. high until thickened. Stir in 1-2 Tbsp. butter before serving (optional). Serve over hot biscuits.

1 comment:

Phyllis Blickensderfer said...

I had a neighbor in the 1970-80 timeframe who grew up in east Texas. Chocolate gravy was the family's favorite dessert. Of course, he fixed it for his girls as they were growing up. So it's being passed along, just as in your family. A great treat!