Search This Blog

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Observations

My mom used to be fond of quoting this little rhyme:

There was once a little girl with a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good, she was mighty, mighty good,
But when she was bad, she was horrid.

That kind of sums up my observations on marriage. My parents had one of those mighty, mighty good marriages. I never once saw them fight, or even argue. Growing up in that environment gave me a very idealistic view of marriage, one that could be true but, most often, is not.

The biggest lesson I learned from my marriage is that, just one person can't make it a good marriage, no matter how hard they try. Although one person may be giving her all, if the other person is completely ego-centric and goes into it categorizing in his mind who gets what in a divorce, it's not likely to last long at all. When you add to that the lies that were told to make the marriage happen in the first place, it's truly a miracle it lasted four years.

That's why I can not envision myself ever considering getting married again. I have friends I can talk to, reminisce with, go to dinner or a movie with; but I don't think I can ever trust another man enough to give my all again.

No comments: