Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Real Life

Most of you who read my blog know that my mom passed away over four and a half years ago and that I still grieve that loss in my life. I'm currently reading an excellent book on grief from a Christian standpoint, and it has been very helpful. In the book are a couple quotes by Benjamin Franklin that I'd like to share with you.

Now, I always enjoy reading quotes attributed to Benjamin Franklin. He was down-to-earth and so doggone practical. Although I have heard quotes that would lead me to believe that he was not saved, I really like this one about the afterlife.

On February 2, 1756, he wrote the following to Elizabeth Hubbard: "I send my condolences to you, and we have lost a dear and valuable relation. But it's the will of God and it's the nature that these mortal bodies be laid aside when the soul is to enter into real life, because it's rather an embryo state that we're in."

How interesting to refer to our present life as "an embryo state"! I had never thought about it like that, but I certainly appreciate that point of view. Here is more from Ben Franklin on the subject:

A man is not completely born until he is dead. Why then should we grieve that a new child has been born above with the immortals, that a new member has been added to their happy families? That bodies should be lent to us is a kind and benevolent act of God. When they become unfit for the purposes that are afforded us, and it becomes pain with our bodies rather than pleasure, and instead of an aid these bodies have become an encumbrance and they answer none of the intentions for which they were given, it is equally kind and benevolent that God has provided a way that we can get rid of these bodies. And death is that way. We ourselves often prudently choose a partial death. In some cases it may be a mangled limb which cannot be restored and it's amputated. It may be he who plucks out a tooth and parts with it freely, since the pain goes with it. And thus a person surrenders the whole body and departs at once and with it goes all of the pain and all of the possibilities of pain, all disease and all suffering. Thus we're invited to go abroad on a party of pleasure that's to last forever. Perhaps a loved one has gone on before us. We could not all conveniently start together. And why should we be grieved at this, because we're going to be soon to follow. And we know where to find him or where to find her that knows Christ.

1 comment:

Randi said...

I like that so much. I've always liked Ben Franklin quotes about spiritual and practical things, too. Those quotes are of course, much better than his views on fidelity.