Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Obsessive Compulsive

Although I've never been accused of being a neat freak, I have always liked my things organized and arranged just so. Since I'm concerned with how well my closets and drawers are organized, my house tends to be on the cluttered side until I have time to make sure everything gets put away just right. Because of the cluttered aspect, friends are often surprised when they learn of my obsession to be organized.

This afternoon, I had the joy of talking to a dear friend of mine who has experienced that side of me and won't let me forget it. She was visiting one day when Sam was just an infant. I had a load of his laundry that I was folding, and she graciously offered to help. Although I accepted her offer, I rather unconsciously went behind her re-folding everything since it was not folded to my specifications. Finally, she told me she wasn't going to help me any more since I kept re-doing everything she did. I hadn't even noticed what I was doing and was somewhat embarrassed at the situation. But, she was right. I was better off just doing it myself, my way.

Today, I was very happy to let her know that I am no longer quite so obsessive. My obsession for organization can never compete with Scott's obsessive compulsion to clean! He gets in what I call a "cleaning frenzy" every so often and even gets down on his hands and knees and scrubs the kitchen floor nearly every weekend. About a week and a half ago, he helped me by putting the laundry away. Now up until I started working full-time, I wouldn't allow that because something might not be folded just right or put in the right place in the drawer. This time, I just let him do it since I was busy in the kitchen and too tired to do everything that needed to be done. I exultantly informed my friend today that there are STILL towels not folded correctly and not put in the exact right place, even several days later. I have certainly improved!

1 comment:

Randi said...

WOW! Well, I'll never be considered a neat freak. My policy is NEVER, NEVER discourage anyone from helping with household chores.
Even when my kids were little and wanted to "help" and made a bigger mess. But if my DH wanted to put away laundry and towels, I'd say more power to him!
Good for you - to let it happen!