Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What Is Love?

Some people throw that word around so freely. They love everything from their morning coffee to the way their socks feel on their feet. I understand, somewhat, since I tend to have extreme emotions and rarely feel neutral about anything. But, when it comes to loving people, what does that entail? C.S. Lewis said, "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained." I think that pretty much sums it up. Love should be about making the other person's life better, not about what that person can do to better your life.

With this being the week before Easter, it seems more than appropriate to use the love of God as an example. Jesus left the splendors of Heaven to come here with the intent to die for us. His love was/is all about making our lives (and even more our afterlife) better. He wasn't concerned about the hardships His decisions made for Himself. He went so far as to give up His life so that we might live forever.

Is there anyone you would die for? That is true love. There are only two people on earth that I would die for, and I love them both enough to sacrifice my own comfort, happiness, even my life to see that their lives are the best they can be. My happiness comes when I see they are happy in their lives.

No comments: